Wednesday, September 3, 2014

We're Fall-ing!

There are so many things to blog about, things I missed sharing with you in August.  But we'll backtrack to those topics in due time.  But for now, it's time to transition to the Fall garden!  Here in North Carolina in Zone 7, we can grow a 3-season garden easily, and winter gardening is possible with a little help.  Here's some of what we're growing this Fall:

DiCiccio Broccoli and Georgia Southern Collards

Left: Florida Broadleaf Mustard Greens; Right: Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard (under a shade cloth to protect from the 90+ degree weather we're having right now).

Copenhagen Market Cabbage

I'm hoping to transition the garden's layout in the winter to incorporate some permaculture principles. Because of that, I'm having to violate the "Heavy Feeder/Heavy Giver/Light Feeder" crop rotation principle I teach in my classes and plant two heavy feeders (tomatoes and then brassicas) back-to-back.  Everything's an experiment...we'll see what happens!

I haven't planted the kale, lettuce, carrots, beets, or spinach yet...maybe this afternoon.

How's your Fall garden transition going?

No comments:

Post a Comment