Friday, July 4, 2014

Fourth of July: Celebrating Food Independence

I post "A Meal from Our Own 1/4 Acre" blogs to celebrate fresh, healthy food and the pride that comes from providing for your own needs. On this July 4th as we think about freedom, I want to share another meal in celebration of the freedom of growing your own food. We can also celebrate how good it is for our citizen's health (in the midst of diet-related health crisis) and the well-being of our environment (as food miles are reduced to near zero) and our families (as we slow down enough to cook our own food and enjoy a meal together around our own table). Long live food freedom!

So here's "Another Meal (Mostly!) from Our Own 1/4 Acre":

We just finished eating this DELICIOUS brunch of hash browns with carrots, Swiss chard, onion, and garlic, along with fresh scrambled eggs, sauteed Asian long beans, and fresh-picked blackberries. Everything but the onions came from our own 1/4 acre, and nearly all of the produce was in the ground just 2 hours ago! Talk about fresh!

Here was some of this morning's harvest that turned into this meal:

In the final stages of cooking:

And finally, a little gloating. It dawned on me as we were eating that I planted this meal, I harvested it, I washed it, and I cooked it. No, this is not the "Little Red Hen" fussing because nobody helped; actually, I'm saying it with great pride in myself. Just a few years ago I didn't have these skills, and now I do! If I can do this, with a willingness to learn and some hard work (and in my case, a talented spouse who taught me how to cook), ANYONE can!

To learn more, go to our "Soil Yourself" workshop tab. Join one of the upcoming workshops and you can learn how to enjoy more food freedom, too! Happy Independence Day!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment